Ostomy is an artificial opening in the organ of the body that is created during an operation such as colostomy, gastrostomy or ileostomy.
The opening or stoma is usually created when the anus, rectum or colon cannot perform as usual due to injury, disease or if it needs rest from its regular functions. Since your body must still eliminate waste, a stoma or artificially created hole will have to be created in your abdomen, to reroute your means of waste/feces removal.
As a result, ostomy patients often need ostomy support belts, to support the weight of the ostomy appliances that are attached to a stoma. These support belts often wrap well around the abdomen and attach to loops on the ostomy bag.
Ostomy patients should wear these belts day and night as a precautionary measure. These belts come in varied forms, textures, sizes, and styles. Therefore, finding one that fits you comfortably and works as needed is not that hard.
In addition, some belts are made from flexible, breathable material that adjusts to the contours of your body. This allows you to live as usual. You can even engage in different lifestyle leisure activities such as running, dancing, jumping and even stretch exercises without worrying about a thing.
The best kind will likely expand with your ostomy pouch as it fills, thus providing a very comfortable user experience while keeping all your ostomy appliances in place.
Moreover, they are highly beneficial and easy to use. The only reason most people find fault in them is the lack of proper coaching on use and maintenance.
Here are the benefits of having ostomy support belts:
- It can be used to support the ostomy pouch or as an alternative to adhesives for ostomy patients, especially those with sensitive skin
- This support belt can help maintain an adequate seal when using a convex skin barrier
- It is great at keeping your ostomy pouch steady, preventing it from detaching from your stoma or being snagged
- It reduces any chances of parastomal and incisional hernias by preventing the formation of the hernia defect
- The ostomy bag support belts are very discreet, thus allowing you to continue with life as you know it, without interfering with your ostomy bag
- It can also preserve parastomal and incisional hernias from recurring after surgery repair, by delivering extra wound support
- The confidence you get while wearing it is top-notch
- This support belt can protect your colostomy bag by holding it securely up against your body
- The best usually moves effortlessly with the contours of your body
- Great at releasing tension from the stoma by holding the pouch or ostomy bag
- The comfort it provides whilst at rest is unmatched, as it minimizes output movement inside the ostomy pouch
- Can help diminish peristomal skin rash by preventing the ostomy pouch from dragging
Desired Attributes of Ostomy Support Belts
- Should be adaptable to the contours of your body
- Must have numerous hole diameters for a comfortable fit around your ostomy kit
- Should have multiple hole placements, left-center, and right
- Should be comfortable and highly durable
- It should have an extended circumference or girth around the waist area
- Adequate belt width is ideal
- Should be comfortable, not tight and made from textures that correspond with its use
- Should be flexible enough to allow body movements and expandable with every step, as the ostomy pouch fills with waste
How to Get an Ostomy Support Belt
An ostomy support belt is a great investment for ostomy patients. Buying an ostomy support belt should not be that hard. You can also ask for help from the experts if you are confused about what type or kind to buy. This will help you to ensure that you’ll be fully satisfied with the ostomy belt you choose.